It's OK to use private IP addresses in creating a bridge and other
sorts of "junctions", correct?

I'm not saying this what mod saw is a bridge, but remember how
traceroute works: it sends UDP packets but sets the total number of
hops (TTL) so that it won't get there to the destination, then it waits
for the ICMP error packet to come back and looks at where the ICMP
error packet came from. Then it increments the TTL by one and repeats.

Unrelated to this, I've had numerous problems going to some websites
where it sent back TCP packets with SOURCE addresses in the private IP
range. Weird. My linux firewall drops these and that's how I noticed
them.