Hello folks,

I was given this email by a co-worker (Mark Fearer) in hopes of answering my
Linux question.  He said I was guaranteed to get a response.  Whether any of
those responses lead to a solution is not guaranteed. :-)

Problem:  I cannot run any of the RPM installer GUIs on RedHat 7.1

I was hoping to run a GUI (e.g. kpackage, GNORPM), but they both crash and burn
when I start them up.  I am new to the RPM tools and did not want to wade
through man pages figuring out the nuances of rpm.  Also, the GUIs should allow
simple browsing and selection of packages to install.

My underlying goal is the following:  Install RedHat 7.1 Server and then add
packages from all RedHat distro CDs as desired.  I would like to pick and choose
what I install from each of the many CDs.

Background:  I worked on Apollo Domain/OS (anyone remember JLRU?) and then HP-UX
for 7+ years.  I have spent the last 4 years programming mostly on Windoze with
a sprinkling of Solaris.  I have started building a Linux server for my home
network so I can run reliable and secure FTP, HTTPD, etc.  Unfortunately, my
years of Un*x experience is not fully compatible.  For example, it took me some
time to figure out that RedHat 7.1 uses xinetd, as opposed to the more familiar
inetd.

At any rate, I am eager to learn the subtleties of Linux, but my patience will
wear thin quite quickly if everything crashes on me (e.g. kpackage).  I already
own an operating system where applications crash regularly - why learn another
one? :-)

        Thanks in advance,
        Ted Grzesik

--
Ted Grzesik                                       i2 Technologies, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          Merrimack, NH  603-791-2312