First off, thanks to all who pitched in to help solve my problem.  Thanks
especially to Bob Bennett, our master BOFH here at i2 Merrimack for deducing the
answer!

BAD CD!

It turns out my burned copy of one of the installation CDs was bad.  After Bob's
suggestion I reinstalled with an alternate copy of RedHat 7.1 that I had burned
from ISOs off the web.  I previously had problems with RedHat's ISOs so I
thought I was doing myself a favor by copying from officially purchased CDs.
Instead I created myself an elusive problem.  I _sure_ know how to install
RedHat 7.1 after reinstalling countless times!

The disturbing thing was that I got no indication of an error.  I thought all
packages had MD5 checksums.  Perhaps there was an error that was hidden by
RedHat's installation GUI.  I guess if I was really curious I could do the bad
install again and look through the logs.

BTW, anyone know of a way to "diff" two CD images?  I wanted to see if I could
identify the bad CD by comparing it to a good CD.

        FYI,
        Ted Grzesik

--
Ted Grzesik                                       i2 Technologies, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          Merrimack, NH  603-791-2312