>From wartimeliberty.com:

http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/22/026245

Sen. Judd Gregg (R-New Hampshire), who called for global
backdoors in encryption products in a floor speech last week, is
readying legislation.

An Associated Press article by Lori Ayotte datelined Concord, New
Hampshire reports that Gregg is "drafting" a bill. An excerpt from
the article: "Computer software companies would have to install a
backdoor for law enforcement agencies to unscramble secret
messages on phones, e-mails and other communications used by
suspected terrorists, under a proposal by U.S. Sen. Judd Gregg, R-
N.H.
'We are in a new world and we have to give our law enforcement
community more tools,' Gregg said Thursday. 'We're blind ... as to
what these people want to do to us,' he added. 'We need this
information.'

Gregg, who is still drafting the measure, stresses it would be used
cautiously. Police agencies could access encryption keys only with
permission from a quasi-judicial commission appointed by the U.S.
Supreme Court, and their requests would be subject to search and
seizure standards, he said."

In the last few days, Gregg has received support from newspaper
columnists, the Baltimore Sun, and a Newsweek poll. Lest we
forget, Gene Poteat, president of the Association of Former
Intelligence Officers, is quoted in the article: "We don't want to give
up our constitutional rights and freedoms. I want my privacy too. But
I want my children to be safe."

Chad