On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I don't believe this is possible. <<to use other Cable modem IP's>>
>
>   Some people seem to think it is.  I wouldn't know -- I can't get cable
> Internet!  :-(

Anyone out there on my ATT cable modem "subnet": 24.147.88.0 - 24.147.95.255
(Bedford/Manchester NH) is free to try my current IP: 24.147.89.149.
Please let me know what you find out :-)

> > In fact, I vaguely remember a few months ago Ben "pooh-poohing" my
> > statement that the DOCSIS CM encryption and authentication ...
>
>   Er, I didn't even know DOCSIS CM *had* encryption and authentication of
> that sort.  I vaguely remember stating that I wouldn't trust the cable
> company to keep things secure for you, but I can't even find that much in my
> sent mail archives.

I went to http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug@zk3.dec.com/ and found the
thread was from Sep 2000.  Where has the year gone!

Anyway, you made a good point something like: "It is a false sense of
security if your internet connection is encrypted from Cable-Modem
to the Head-End, but then goes out in the clear to the internet".

I agree with this, and wouldn't want to lead anyone to think the DOCSIS
Cable modem encryption leads to a "complete" security solution, but I
still feel it is a pretty good thing to keep one's Cable modem "subnet"
neighbors from sniffing or trying to impersonate you.  The CM by the
way it works (with the MAC) currently makes this rather difficult,
coupling that with DOCSIS Baseline security it would be extremely
difficult (DES is crackable, but still very expensive).

For those interested, a description of the DOCSIS Baseline Security is at:

        http://www.broadcom.com/ed-security.html