I can run ifconfig to learn what IP addr a given Enet
interface currently has assigned to it but I wonder if
there is some more direct means of obtaining such info
that is simpler to use from a script, maybe something like

   eth2ip_addr=`cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth2/ip_addr`

...but I haven't yet found such a thing.  Ideas?

P.S.   I lost the earlier emails so I can't remember
       who was asking but I did find that doing this:

           mv /etc/securettys /etc/securettysDISABLED

       allows root to login anywhere.  Use with care...