1. Try turning it off. If that doesn't use more tapes, then something else is
wrong - like the tape drive is ignoring it - or the kernel driver is silently
dropping the request

2. Also, try setting variable length records - I seem to remember this makes
the driver write out records of the size that the application specifies,
instead of the default block size.

Its been a while since I've had to play with things, but I found out a lot
when I did (and after taking the tapes to another system and reading them on a
different OS - item #2 above was a real surprise!

--Bruce

For the latest CodeMeta news, go to http://www.codemeta.com/news .
For my personal news, go to http://www.milessmithfarm.net/news .