Michael Bovee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I discovered that under SuSE 7.1 for PPC,
>that if I type ll  <el, el>
>the output looks the same as if I had typed ls -l, but there is no
>man page for 'el el'?

If you want to find out where a command comes from, you can use bash's
command "type":

  vanzandt:~ $ type -a ls
  ls is aliased to `ls --color=auto'
  ls is /bin/ls

It's like "which", except it accounts for aliases and shell builtins:

  vanzandt:~ $ type -a true
  true is a shell builtin
  true is /bin/true

FWIW, I like the long listing too, but am usually interested in recent
files.  For a while, I defined an alias to "ls -lt|head".  Eventually
that evolved into this script, which I name "lt":

  #!/bin/sh
  if [ $# = 1 ] && [ -d $1 ] ; then
          (cd $1; /bin/ls --color=tty -F -T 0 -ldt -- $(ls -t|head))
  elif [ $# = 0 ] ; then
          /bin/ls  --color=tty -F -T 0 -ldt -- $(ls -t -- $* | head)
  else
          /bin/ls  --color=tty -F -T 0 -ldt -- $(ls -dt -- $* | head)
  fi

It lists the most recent ten of the named files, or the files in the
(one) named directory, or the files in the current directory.  It's
one of the first programs I install when I get an account on a new
machine.

            - Jim Van Zandt