On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> I have 4 PC's that I use as servers at home. Three of them are
> mid-tower, and one is a desktop. They take up too much space, so I'm
> thinking about racking them. I know that you can buy empty chasis, and a
> rack is pretty easy to build (especially when your father in law is a
> carpenter ;-). However, I don't know if the transition is possible. Has
> anyone done anything like this before?

  You can buy rack cases that will contain standard PC components.  The
smallest minimum size for a "regular sized" PC is usually 4U.  The prices
I've seen start around $200 to $250 for those.

  You can go smaller, but you have to do things like put your PCI slots on
riser cards at right-angles to the mainboard.

  It may be cheaper/easier/better to build shelves and put the PCs you have
on the shelves.  If you are convinced you want a 19" rack, I have seen
regular PC cases rackmounted -- the guy used L-brackets attached to holes
drilled through the cases.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>