On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, mike ledoux wrote:
> I do not have this problem running RH6.2 with Kernel 2.2.19 on my
> Inspiron 8100.

  FYI: My laptop has Mandrake 8.0 installed.  Kernel 2.4.  I will have to
try 2.2.  (I should have thought of that; everything else in 2.4 is broken,
why not power management as well?)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, mike ledoux wrote:
> I should also mention that this laptop is apparently designed to run
> quite hot.  I run a distributed.net client on it when it is on AC, and
> the fans do *not* stay on all the time (at nearly 100% CPU utilization).

  Hmmmm.  It has been noted in the past that Linux is better about keeping
the CPU running cooler than MS-Windows.  Maybe it is just that MS-Windows
wastes more CPU time, and thus runs hotter, thus keeping the fans on?

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>