----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Sconce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 12:06 PM
Subject: Debian on a laptop?

> What would you guys start with?  (Has anyone in the group
> actually loaded Debian on a T22?(*))  How about getting KDE on
> CD, is that possible?

I don't know about the T22.  I would get a copy of the current Stable 2.2r4
Cds..just the first one will do, and a set of CDs for the current Woody or
Testing branch.  Then install a minimal base install, upgrade it from
testing, and then add what you want.  KDE 2.2 is in testing as is Gnome 1.4.
Borrowing a little from the Unstable branch will get you Mozilla 9.4 and
Recent AbiWord versions as well.  There are vendors who will burn up to the
minute Cds of both Testing and Unstable.  Check the vendor list on the
Debian website.  I am having great luck with a mix of Testing and Unstable
branches, but for servers I only use Stable.

Debian has a reputation of being very stable and rather stale.  However, the
by using testing on the desktop, you usually are ahead of commercial distos.

Ed Lawson