In a message dated: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:23:41 EST
mike ledoux said:

>On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:14:21AM -0500, Paul Lussier wrote:
>
>> Last week after Karl's talk, someone was asking about having an
>> InstallFest sometime.  This would not be a New User Night, or
>> anything else, just a pure and simple InstallFest, where people could
>> bring their systems and or laptops and get some help install in Linux
>> onto them.
>
>Yeah, my bad.  I was supposed to have one in September, but various
>'real-life' issues caused me to drop the ball.

Hey, not slinging any blame here :)  I didn't even know there was one
scheduled in Sept.!

>If you can get the room, I can bring my install server, an 8-port 10/100
>switch and a 28-port 10mbit hub.  The server has mirrors of Debian
>(stable, testing, unstable), Slackware (7.1), RedHat (6.2) and Mandrake
>(err, looks like the Mandrake mirror fell off, I'll try to fix that
>before the 'fest).  I've done network installs of Debian and RedHat from
>it myself.

Quite cool.  I might be able to come up with a 24 port 10/100 switch.
I know I definitely have at least a 10Mb switch in my basement
somewhere, just need to dust it off :)

>I'll whip up a web form to collect appropriate information from people
>that are planning to attend (things like hardware specs, etc.) once
>we've got a date set.

That would be quite cool.  It should also give us an idea of how many
to expect, at which point I can go to Martha's and tell them what
kind of crowd we may be bringing in for lunch that day :)

Leverage is a good thing when you're asking for freebies :)
--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon