In a message dated: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 23:43:56 EST
Tom Rauschenbach said:

>This not related to an Adaptec 2940UW but generic CD burners. I can read fine
>but cannot burn. It tells me there is no media [sic] in the drive.  Obviously
>the kernel sees the device and xdcroast lets me configure it.  Its as though
>I can't write until I format the medium, although it makes no sense to me
>that I have to format a write once device.

Can you write manually using cdrecord?

(I just don't trust xcdroast.  I know most people can use it just
fine, but I couldn't get it to what I wanted, and have found that
(once again) using the command line is faster, more versatile, and
just as effective!

Try using cdrecord with -v and see if it provides any decent error
output you can debug with.
--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!
                         Merry Christmas !!!!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon