On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:35:33PM -0500, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:

[snip]

> locally so the server doesn't need to process them every time. You
> also don't have to use the entire Courier system. You can individually
> get the IMAP server, the webmail system, and the filtering system
> (maildrop). Or, you can get the whole package.

That's actually one of the cool things I like about Courier.  It's not all
or nothing and you don't have to try to fit a square peg into a round hole
(or a Maildir peg into sendmail hole ;-)).  I'm actually working on a project
to ditch qmail and use *cough* sendmail (please direct security flames about
sendmail elsewhere -- sendmail hasn't had a *remotely* exploitable hole
for a *long* time other than one that wasn't sendmail's fault, but the 2.2
Linux kernel's fault.  And these are sealed servers -- no shell access.).
For the sake of transition I was trying to find a way to have sendmail to
deliver to Maildir format.  Enter maildrop.  Maildrop dropped right into
sendmail as a local mailer just fine.

When I get a chance, I'm going to investigate the Courier system further.
Especially since it looks like it's licensed under the GPL (I'm a GPL
bigot and proud of it), which makes it easier to tie into mysql without
having to worry about licensing conflicts.  Especially with Mysql AB's
slightly whacked view of the GPL -- linking is a nebulous concept, but
communicating over a network socket is NOT linking -- not that *I* really
care, it just makes it difficult to use it as a backend unless you make
sure you work with some other database as well or plan to release everything
under the GPL.  The (off-topic?) point is that pursuing my user configurable
smtp rejection might not work too well license-wise if I use sendmail and
mysql.  I could be wrong, though, having it *all* be GPLed is probably
safer.

I know, there's postgresql as well.  But since I'ld prefer it be GPLed,
and it seems that Courier generates a lot less groans when it comes to
security, that may be the route I take.  The 'pick and choose what you want'
concept of Courier is a great added bonus.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior Systems Administrator