Well, I have a box now that will need to be reloaded.

It seems I was a bit too slow on the ball updating my SSH server and we
got rooted.

This is just a headsup that you might want to check out a few things
when you do your security audits...

The rootkit in question runs a generic trojan on port 999 which asks for
a password and then presumably gives out a root shell.  It's pretty
nasty, but not particularly professionally done.  In my case, the
cracker was kind enough to leave a copy of the original .tgz of his
rootkit on my system.

Here are some specifics of how this person got in and stayed in:

1. Got rootshell via SSH1 CRC32 checksum bug.
2. Gave passwords to 4 system accounts and changed 2 user passwords.
3. soft linked /.bash_history to /dev/null (the original root shell
dumped into the / directory)
4. got a real root shell and linked /root/bash_history to /dev/null
5. Installed the rootkit.
6. The log "cleaner" killed syslog and hosed the ownership of most log
files.
7. ran the trojan backdoor to get in again later.

The trojan replaced ps and netstat with its own versions, backing up the
original in a directory called .1 somewhere on the file system.  The
files for the rootkit were stored in /dev/.fd0 and sub-directories
thereof.

If there is enough interest, I can provide the kit that was used.  The
cracker who wrote it goes by the name of pHrail and claims membership in
a group called Division7.

Brian

|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Spam me and DIE!       |
|                 http://www.datasquire.net                   |
|                 Co-Founder & Co-Owner of                    |
|              Data Squire Internet Services                  |