The article at:

http://lwn.net/2002/0124/a/athlon-agp-problem.php3

seems to have the most concise information. I certainly understand
how Steve Orr feels, though. These are pretty arcane issues - I can
get the overall gist of it only because I remember some cache
coherency issues that were around in the VAX days and some of the
interesting design tweaks that went into systems to avoid them. It
kind of highlights how issues can crop up with different implementations
of the same general processor architecture. I don't know enough about
the IA32 architecture to be able to give a talk on it, that's for sure!
I just hope they get all this ironed out soon - I'm planning on getting
an Asus A7M266D and a couple of 2000+ to run Linux on at home, but
not until I'm comfortable that it will work.

Bayard
(who is running exmh 2.5 on his Tru64 workstation thanks to Paul L. !!)