--- Begin Message ---

Thought you might all be interested in this.  We often talk about
security with respect to computers and networks, but most people
never pay attention to their own personal security.

Seeya,
Paul

 Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do
 both sides of each license, credit card, etc., so you will
 know what you had in your wallet and all of the account
 numbers and phone numbers to call to cancel. Keep the photo-
 copy in a safe place.

 A corporate attorney sent this out to the employees in his
 company. I pass it along, for your information.

 We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed
 using your name, address, SS#, credit, etc. Unfortunately I
 (the author of this piece who happens to be an attorney)
 have firsthand knowledge, because my wallet was stolen last
 month and within a week the thieves ordered an expensive
 monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card,
 had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received
 a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information
 online, and more.

 But here's some critical information to limit the damage in
 case this happens to you or someone you know. As everyone
 always advises, cancel your credit cards immediately, but the
 key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers
 handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find
 them easily. File a police report immediately in the
 jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit
 providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an
 investigation (if there ever is one).

 But here's what is perhaps most important: (I never ever
 thought to do this) - Call the three national credit
 reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert
 on your name and SS#. I had never heard of doing that until
 advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for
 credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means
 any company that checks your credit knows your information
 was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize
 new credit. By the time I was advised to do this, almost two
 weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done.

 There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the
 thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing
 the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and
 the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned
 it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

 The numbers are:

   Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
   Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
   Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
   Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

 We pass along jokes; we pass along just about everything. Do
 think about passing this information along. It could really
 help a friend or someone in your family!

------- End of Forwarded Message

--- End Message ---