The other thing is that you need to take the new kernel and add it to either the
lilo.conf file and re-run lilo or use the grub update mechanism. I took the
lilo.conf route which was quite painless. There is a pretty decent set of
pages on building Mandrake kernels at www.mandrakeuser.org

Again, I never quite turned the corner on the PCMCIA support but as far as I
could tell, everything else worked. The PCMCIA stuff is well documented
in the PCMCIA-HOWTO document should you want to try that but unless you are
building a kernel for a laptop it won't be necessary.

-Alex

P.S. I still have an item on my list to ask the Mandrake folks exactly how one
would build an identical kernel to the one they deliver in their distro. The
other thing is that there is quite a lot of kernel documentation but to some
extent it's confusing because there is just so much of it...

Wirth's Law: Software gets slower faster than Hardware gets faster!

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous

The closest I'm going to get to retirement is when I put new Michelins
on my car!