I stupidly gave a client a tarball of one
of my filesystems so he could extract it
onto his NFS server and serve it via NFS as
the root filesystem of a machine he wants to
boot disklessly.  Unfortunately, I left all the
authentication files such that he needs to know
my local root passwd to use that filesystem,
something I obviously want to avoid.

I'm therefore trying to figure out how to coach
him through the process of making the correct
changes (on his NFS server) such that root
(on his NFS client machine) will have either
no password or at least a different password.
In the old days I'd have simply advised him
to clear the password field in .../etc/passwd
but it's apparently rather more involved now.

Advice?  The alternative is for me to change it
on my local machine and ship him all 100Mb of
filesystem all over again, something I'd really
rather not have to do.

The entry for root in .../etc/passwd is

 root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

and in .../etc/shadow it's (approximately)

 root:z8h4B3csHyu3g:11266:0:99999:7:::