Michael,

        I would say that some of the challenges you face are arch
specific (choosing to start on PPC). Now this isn't a criticism, but the
problem you run into is that while there are probably a handleful of
people on this list that can help you with doing X, booting a PPC machine
is different from booting and i386, and anywhere you run into different
hardware it gets difficult, if only because the number of people with the
knowledge is less and the number of people developing for that arch is
less.

Now, having said that, if it makes you feel any better I'm composing this
on an Alpha (in Linux), my main workstation is an Alpha, and there's a
SPARC across the room happily running Debian.

--rdp

--
Rich Payne
http://talisman.mv.com