"Mansur, Warren" said:
>My biggest complaint is that half the tools, such as 'ps', 'tar', etc .
>. ., only seem to accept half as many options as other UNIX platforms,
>so I always have learn two versions of each command -- one for all
>UNIXes except Sun, and Sun.  Example: try tying 'ps aux' on Sun and see
>what happens.

I swap between BSD & Sys V unixen all the time.  My most common command
seems to be ps [commands] | egrep [regexp].  So I put this in my start
ups (ksh/bash syntax follows) and alias to psg:

# Which ps args does the OS take?
psax=$(ps ax 2>&1 | wc -l)
pse=$(ps -ef 2>&1 | wc -l)
if [ $psax -gt $pse ]
then
  ps_cmd=aux    # BSDish ps
else
  ps_cmd=-ef    # SYSVish ps (OSF, Linux RH 6.0 pick this)
fi

alias psg="ps $ps_cmd | egrep"

psg . is like running w/o the egrep.
--