Quite a while ago I explored this entire issue. It is much better to use
Samba (and smbfs) to mount Windows shares one Linux/Unix systems (and
conversely mount exported Linux/Unix shares) on Windows platforms.
For one thing, Samba is included in virtually every Linux distro with SMBFS
as a kernel component. And I do agree with Ken's opinion of PC NFS.
In other words, it's a lot easier to let Windows think its dealing with
another Windows system than making it think it is dealing with a non-
Windows platform.

On 18 Mar 2002 at 10:53, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 21:52, Tom Buskey wrote:
> >
> > Now if I could find a free NFS client for XP/2k/98 I'd be all set.
>
> It's called Samba.  ;-)  Seriously, though -- I've dealt with a lot of
> NFS clients for Windows (primarily Sun's PC-NFS (Pro) a/k/a Solstice,
> but others, as well), and they all have a bit of a "teaching an old dog
> new tricks" feel; I'd rather attempt to have Windows do its own thing,
> and make the Unix boxes comply.  While it's more work for Unix, at least
> you can be reasonably sure it'll -work-, and the latest versions of
> Samba (particularly the CVS stuff, which has things like the all-in-one
> "net" command) is really getting nifty.
>
> $.02,
>
> -Ken

Jerry Feldman