----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jerry Feldman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "GNHLUG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 10:00 PM
Subject: Re: Internet Shutdown

> It seems that a bunch of '1' bits have gotten stuck
> sideways in the fiber over the years and is really causing a backup
> of data flow along major trunk lines.

Um, excuse me, but there are no "1" and "0" bits in fiber optic cable.
There are only "light" and "dark" bits. The fiber optic transceivers
must make the translation. And I heard it was dark bits that were stuck
in the cables. I also heard a team of Qwest engineers were going to ride
the lines looking for these stuck dark bits.

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES
www.sysupport.com