Peter Beardsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One thing I noticed was when I had perl print the values, the string I made
> in perl printed like so:
>
>          foo213s string
>
> While the one from the input file looked like this:
>
>          fooÕs string

In the first, you're using regular ascii characters, i.e. the 3-digit
decimal
value of the non-ascii character's ordinal value. In the second you're
using
the character itself.

To match the actual character, you'll have to use perl's pack/unpack
functions.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER [EMAIL PROTECTED] / YAHOO abreauj
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9