Bill,

Thanks for the great write-up!  You might want to organize that into
a magazine article and submit it to LJ, I'm sure many other people
out there would be interested in hearing of your success!

I also have leaped a small hurdle with Windows interoperability
recently, though no where near as complicated as your story :)

My current employer seems to think that using Exchange and Outlook is
a good thing.  I suppose in a large company (19,000 people) where the
majority of them are non-technically savy or middle management, it
sort of makes sense, since Outlook seems to have all the features
someone of that description could ever want.

However, I've lived with the power of exmh/procmail and the flexibility of UNIX
for far too long to consider this silly little toy as a real e-mail
environment.

My first day on the job was spent suffering with Windows 2000.
Well, actually, the suffering lasted maybe 30 minutes.  Then I
decided I would play with cygwin.  I quickly realized that I was
at that point, essentially re-creating Linux within Windows.

The second day was spent re-partitioning my drive and installing
Linux, and getting all comfy :)

Day 3, I bought the Codeweavers Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin
for Linux ($65 for both, as opposed to the $65 for *just* Ximian's
Evolution Connector for Exchange 2000).

So far Codeweaver's works great.  There are some minor flaws and
bugs.  There seems to be a minor problem with the cursor on dialog
box pop-ups where the cursor disappears when you enter the box, but
if you're slow and careful, when you click, you end up clicking the
correct button.

Another bug I've found is that Outlook crashes when you try and do
a print-preview.  So I don't do that any more :)

The one bug I've seemed to stumble into that is really annoying me
has to do with 'Rules' which seems to be Outlooks sorry excuse for a
mail-sorting filter wizard thingy.  First, they make up rules in
natural language.  Probably okay for people who think in a natural
language fashion.  I think I've been around computers too long, since
'if...then' clauses and regular expressions make more sense to me
than those rules do :)

The bug appears to be that they (Codeweavers) have not implemented a
mechanism for dealing with rules yet, specifically the 'Redirect'
rules, which is what you need to have mail sent to another e-mail
address upon arrival.

So, until I figure out how to get all my outlook mail forwarded to a
Unix box, I run with 2 mail clients on my desktop, Outlook and exmh.

So far it's working out pretty good.  The Crossover Office suite
allows you to install the native MS Office suite onto a Linux box and
run those apps.  There's no emulation or anything going on, and you
don't need to install Wine.  All the office apps work, Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, etc.  I'm only using Outlook because that's all I need
here.  I have OpenOffice, AbiWord, Gnumeric, and LyX installed for
anything else I'll ever need to do, and I'll never mail someone here,
or anywhere, a Word attachment, it will always be either PS or PDF.

So, for anyone out there who wants to save money and not pay that
Windows OS tax, there is a way you can use MS apps under Linux.

The old complaint that "Word doesn't run on Linux" is NO LONGER VALID!

Oh, as for the Crossover Plugin package?  I now have Windows Media
Player and Quicktime plugins running under Galeon on Linux!  So, I
now have the multimedia capabilities of Windows and the power of
Linux.  How sweet is that!?
- --

Seeya,
Paul