Robert Anderson said:

>We are using "Networker" from Lagato "http://www.legato.com/";.
>
>We backup all types of hosts, but so far we've only used Sun's or
>SGI's as the backup servers.  We've used the 4700 DLT's as well as 30
>tape DLT drives and AIT tape units.  All seem to have there own
>problems but nothing really related to the Networker software.
>
>The down side is that it's expensive and they tend to nickel & dime
>you for everything seperately.  Make sure you get a quote with all the
>hardware you have (counting robotic tape slots and number of drives)
>and OS's you intend to backup.

Legato also has scaling issues.  if you're backing up 100 machines, you
probably won't hit it.  Also the internal database the use to track
things blows & often gets corrupted.

Given the expense and the scaling issues, I'd go with something else.
I've had luck with veritas & amanda in the past on smaller sites.
--
-------
Tom Buskey