They have the single utility for system management, but you are not forced
to use it.
The inventor of rc.config is a member of this list and I won't metion
Charles' name :-). SuSE 8.0 has eliminated the rc.config. All rc.config was
was a simple file containing environment variables used at system startup
by the files in the init.d directory. They now used the sysconfig directory
structure that is used by other Linux distros.

Also the older character cell based YaST (YaST1) is gone. YaST2 is both
Graphical, modular and character cell.

As I mentioned, 8.0 is recommended by a couple of friends who went out an
paid for it as I intend to.
On 29 Apr 2002 at 10:55, Benjamin Scott wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, at 10:22am, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > Also, others who use SuSE 8.0 seem to feel that it is very easy to install
> > and manage.
>
>   Hmmmm.  So... people who like SuSE like SuSE.  ;-)
>
>   I tried SuSE seven point mumble about a year ago, and I was impressed by
> the feeling of polish and integration it gave me.  The printed documentation
> was very good, and the package selection (several CDs worth) extensive.
>
>   My dislikes were mainly in the area of the configuration automation
> subsystem they use: YaST, the single monolithic rc.config file for the
> entire system, and an impression that it was all-or-nothing.  There are
> reasons to like that approach, but personally, I do not.  (Then again, I
> haven't really been happy with a distribution since Red Hat 6.2.  Maybe I'm
> just a Luddite.)
>
>   IMO, SuSE is definitely worth checking out.  I've been considering picking
> up the 8.0 boxed set myself.
>
> > I have mixed feelings about Mandrake. Some of their releases have been
> > good, others have been bad.
>
>   Mandrake isn't my preferred distribution, either.  While I cannot put my
> finger on it, something about it just rubs me the wrong way.  Strictly a
> personal feeling.  But in the "glitter" category, it is definitely a leader.
>
>   :-)
>
> --
> Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not |
> | necessarily represent the views or policy of any other person, entity or  |
> | organization.  All information is provided without warranty of any kind.  |

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9