On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:15:08PM -0400, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2002, at 7:05pm, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> > ... what is the difference between ODBC and unixODBC?
>
>   It has been awhile, and my memory is rather fuzzy at this point, but I
> believe there is more than one implementation of ODBC available for Linux,
> and I suspect that is what you are seeing.  If you already have one in mind,
> you would pick that one.  If you are unsure, track down information from the
> software providers and pick the one that best suits your needs.  Google is
> likely going to be helpful here.
>
>   Disclaimer: Everything I said above could be a TOTAL LIE.  If you make
> decisions based on it without independent verification, you're insane.

All the disclaimers Ben said, but I have used ODBC once or twice.

I think UnixODBC is an ODBC manager for UNIX.  Windows has one built in,
so it doesn't really matter.  ODBC lets an ODBC [Windows] app talk
to a server  through the ODBC driver.  The ODBC manager lets you set up
ODBC connections.

If all that is confusing, it probably is.  BUT, here's an example of
accessing data on MySQL on a unix box from windows (call it pseudocode):

Install MySQL on unix box, configure, etc.
Install MyODBC (http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/Installing_MyODBC.html) on the
 Windows box
Use ODBC manager in Windows (may be called data access or something else)
 to create a connection that can be used later (server, username, db, etc.)
Fire up ODBC-capable app (Access, Excel, etc.) and use data access
 function to talk to MyODBC and then to MySQL and fetch data.

Note that there is nothing special you need on the UNIX side, aside
from making sure the network access is properly set up and database
access is correct.

I've used this before to look up records in MySQL from Word.

UnixODBC is used to (for example) talk to Access from a UNIX box.

-Mark