I'd like to point out that I have erected an SEP field around both my
environment and security at my current place of employment :)

Therefore, all discussion of security is strictly "theoretical" wrt
my current "real life" needs. (In other words, I'm interested in the
security implications from an educational/theoretical POV only, since
I can't really enforce or implement much security here.  Besides, I'm
behind a firewall! ;)

In a message dated: Tue, 21 May 2002 19:21:40 EDT
"Derek D. Martin" said:

>In a really security-sensitive environment, I wouldn't allow NT
>domain authentication at all...

[...snip...]

>Actually, in a really security-sensitive environment, I wouldn't allow
>Microsoft products on my network.  Their bug-o-the month software is
>too flawed, by their own VP's admission.  But that's me...

But, according to the pam_smb website
(http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/faq/pam_smb_faq-2.htm),
pam_smb has the following "feature":

        * Uses encrypted LANMAN passwords over the network

And the development track is working on implementing:

        * A daemon to support caching and queueing of entries

How you could you *not* feel secure with this? ;)

--

Seeya,
Paul