On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 11:54, Ben Boulanger wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with making an image of your disk, dropping it
> to a CD and making that CD bootable?  My ultimate goal is:
>
>       Take the current image I have of a linux box
>       Burn it to a CD, making the CD bootable
>       Boot from the CD, wipe all the data back to the disk
>       Boot from the machine as normal.
>
> Has anyone done this?

  I haven't, but I have a few gotcha's you will run into and some
suggestions.  First, the booting process for CDs is different than for
hard disks.  A bootable CD is in a format (called "El-Torito") that
requires a floppy image (either 1.44MB or 2.88MB, I think) with what
would normally be your boot floppy for your hard disk.  However, you
obviously need to customize that boot floppy to boot from the CD instead
of disk.  I believe you could just use mkbootdisk (on Red Hat at least
-- it might work other distributions with a little tweaking, or, if your
lucky, none) and then just customize the image it spits out.
  The next problem you will run into is the fact that Linux will want to
write to, at a minimum, the /var filesystem.  And, unfortunately, at
least two files in /etc: ioctl.save, which I think has something to do
with remembering the runlevel, and /etc/mtab, for mount.  You can fix
the mtab problem by deleting /etc/mtab and creating a link from
/etc/mtab to /proc/mounts.  But the entire /var filesystem, at a
minimum, will need to be tarred up and made into a ramdisk that you can
mount on boot and write to.
  Looking at your goal, you might be better off just saving the entire
filesystem tree in a subdirectory and making the rest of the CD into a
"rescue" CD with just the minimum tools necessary to restore it to
disk.  There are tools you can find on freshmeat to do this, but my
experience with one of them (mkcdrec, I think it was) was at least a
couple of coasters.  It was a while ago though, and I only tried one, so
it might be worth trying again.  I suggest trying with CDRWs if you have
a CDRW drive before doing it with CDRs (of course, CDRs are cheap these
days, so it might not matter).
  Hope that helps!
--
-Paul Iadonisi