[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> 2002? No, I'm pretty sure I heard Jon say that at least as far back as
>  1997, or perhaps early 1998.

Actually the first time I said it was in May of 1994, when I put together
my first slide talk about Linux for Digital Equipment Corporation's
Unix Product Management staff.  I had just met Linus at the DECUS convention
in New Orleans, and was madly trying to get him an Alpha system so he would
not feel compelled to do the PowerPC instead.

I was trying to get my management to understand that although systems like
Digital Unix had a reasonable lifespan (unless killed off artificially),
eventually Linux (or something called Linux) would take over.

It was the last bullet of the last slide, and for many more months it stayed
the last bullet of the last slide as I went from group to group speaking
about Linux.

I still include it in talks occasionally.

Jabr, thanks for kicking the memories into gear.

md
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(SM)
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         80 Amherst St.
Voice: +1.603.672.4557       Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
WWW: http://www.li.org

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(SM)Linux International is a service mark of Linux International, Inc.