On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, mike ledoux wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:34:46PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On 24 Jun 2002, at 3:19pm, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> > > Could you provide clarification as to where you are proposing to store
> > > this?  On the IMAP server itself?
> >
> >   I am envisioning a procmail work-a-like program that runs on an IMAP
> > client machine, but accesses and stores mail on an IMAP server.
>
> What I'm seeing is something a little different:
>
> fetchmail -> procmail -> putmail
>
> where 'putmail' is a program that takes a mail message on STDIN and puts
> it in the specified folder on the IMAP server.

That's one way, however you'd be transfering the message to the client,
figuring out where to put it and then sending it back again. What's would
be even better would be just to move the message on the imap server. Yes
you'd still have to pull the message down, but you wouldn't need to send
it back again. So instead of giving putmail the entire message, just give
it the message's unique message ID on the IMAP server and the destination
folder.

You would also need to be careful about maintaining message flags (unread
etc....).

--rdp

--
Rich Payne