I haven't gathered all the evidence in this
matter as carefully as I might, but here's a
problem I think I'm seeing: once I've established
SSH sessions from machines behind my firewall to
certain remote machines, they die (pretty much to
the second) after two hours if I just leave them
idle.  If I establish identical client sessions on
(instead of through) my firewall machine those
idle sessions seem to stay up indefinitely.

The message seen when the sessions die is:

 Read from remote host xxx.yyy.com: Connection reset by peer
 Connection to xxx.yyy.com closed.

The sshd I'm connecting to is elsewhere on
the Internet and the same one in all cases.
My firewall machine is an unremarkable Linux box
running the current "testing" flavor of Debian
and using ipchains for masquerading and such.
I'm not really knowledgable about such matters
so I don't know how (or even "if" - this is all
still just suspicion) something in my firewall box
could be imposing such timeouts on the masqueraded
connection.  Any ideas?  Is the remote sshd maybe
trying to open some connection back to the client
and being prevented by the firewall?

The SSH configs on all my client machines are pretty
much out-of-the-box defaults; I haven't messed with
any of the keepalives or other options and I'd prefer
not to until I understand what's going on here.