Hello, Mike.

Mike Pedersen wrote:

This may be a case of the entire desktop getting hung.

That is a strong possability. I noticed when orca goes I can't even get to run
and open gnome-terminal and often I have to control+alt+f1 over to a shell to
kill orca to get gnome freed up.

 Are you at least
running orca 0.2.5?

Yes, I am. After getting Ubuntu setup and working I used Willie Walker's Orca
tutorial and grabbed gnome-speech 0.4.0 and orca 0.25 from gnome ftp,
uninstalled the Ubuntu packages, and compiled, and installed from source. So my
versions of orca and gnome-speech are up-to-date with ftp current stable
releases.

If this happens, try switching to another vertual terminal for example
with: CTRL+ALT+F1 and kill -9 orca and festival-synthesis-driver.

So as I understand it if I am running with festival the command would be
killall -9 orca
killall -9 festival-synthesis-driver
Is that correct?

Stability is always a top priority for the orca team so more work will
be coming in this area very soon.

Great. I can't wait for some more stability. I like the guys you are doing, but
orca needs more stability before it will be my day to day solution.
Thanks.

Mike