Renamed as it started to be really offtopic.

From: trev.saund...@gmail.com

>> You also have the problem of how signal gtk applications on
>> runtime. You would require a IPC to do that, so the best candidate
>> would be DBUS. This would mean add a new dependency to gtk+.
>
> I'm tempted to try to do this with signals, its kind of ugly, but I believe
> could work.  My idea is basically have a file that contains a list of new
> modules you'd like gtk to load, the app could find out the name of this file
> from an enviroment variable or it could be determined at build time,
> whatever.  We'd put this file in $HOME/.new_gtk_moduels or something again
> the details don't really matter, but it should probably be in $HOME
> somewhere.  Then when you want a gtk application to load the modules
> specified there you can just send it a signal.  Now that I think about this
> you could probably do the same thing with a fifo, without the signals part.
> While its far less enterprisey it seems reasonable, and fairly easy to
> implement.

But here you are explaining a alternative way to put the modules to
load on runtime, but not how to send the signal itself.

AFAIU, the idea is:

  a) Press a shortcut
  b) Window manager launches orca+at-spi-registryd
  c) Gtk apps receives a signal in order to load this modules.

As far as I understand, the idea is that window manager sent this
signal to any gtk applications in order to load the modules. But the
window manager is a app and the gtk apps are different ones, so,
unless Im missing something, you need a IPC signal library, like DBUS.

BTW: probably you won't require this file. As explained here [1], when
you set the gconf properties related to accessibility, automatically
at-spi-registryd is executed, and GTK_MODULES is updated to contain
the gtk a11y related modules. So you'll have a) and b) and just
missing c).

> While dbus could work it seems to me atleast like a really big hammer for
> this problem.

Using DBUS was just a quick thought/straightforward of how implement
it if a external app want to ask gtk apps to load during
runtime. Probably there are other solutions to do that.

[1]
http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Mechanics?highlight=%28no\_at\_bridge%29#gnome-settings-daemon

===
API (apinhe...@igalia.com)