2009/11/2 Milo Casagrande <m...@casagrande.name>

> Hi Mario,
>
> 2009/11/2 Mario Blättermann <mari...@gnome.org>:
> > Yes, it helps really:-)
>
> Happy it helped!
>
> > New license.page is attached.
> >
> > Another question: I get the topics in index.page in a wrong sort order.
> > Like this:
> >
> > Customization
> > Introduction
> > License
> > Playing GNOME Tetravex
> >
> > But I want to have:
> >
> > Introduction
> > Playing GNOME Tetravex
> > Customization
> > License
> >
> > How I can get this?
>
> For how I undertand things (actually I can't remember if I asked Shaun
> about this...), the sorting of that page is based on the titles of the
> linked pages. So that's going to be a little bit hard to adjust the
> sorting as long as you don't change the words you use.
> What you can do instead, is "thinking" a little bit different the
> layout of your help. Thinking a little bit more topic-based.
>
> I'm attaching a simple 2-minutes hack based on what you have done.
> Take a look at it and see if it can work for you. It can be adjusted
> and probably expanded too.
>
> Ciao.

I think I noticed this same issue on the Empathy help as displayed in Yelp.
One of the help sections displays the topics in an order that doesn't make
logical sense (I think it was the second main section, perhaps about
creating an account or chatting via IRC).

I understand that topic based help is supposed to document individual chunks
of information to the user, and that these chunks should be able to
stand-alone, but it still seems necessary to present those topics in a
logical order.  Otherwise, it's confusing to the user.  Suggesting that
users think about the help differently doesn't really help them.

Milo, is your "hack" to list the preferred order of the other .page files
from within the index.page file?  That's wha it seems like you are doing in
the example you provided.

Jim