On 19/06/06, Paolo Maggi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>         I was giving a look to bug #330868 (Adding "License" button and dialog
> to About dialog). It seems to me we are duplicating the same long
> strings (mostly the GPL license) in most applications marking them for
> translation in order to add a "License" button to the about dialog.

If you intend to present localised license text, please provide a way
to turn it off (and probably turn it off by default ...).

Translations can introduce ambiguities or change the meaning of a
text, which is not acceptable in the case of a legal document.  My
agreement to license my code under the GPL does not imply my agreement
to license it under a random translation of the GPL, so it shouldn't
be presented as such to the user.

James.