On 7/25/06, Behdad Esfahbod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is the wrongest approach to solve this problem, and indeed what
> Roozbeh has had in mind.  In the case of Chinese fonts with no bold
> variant, there are a lot of possibilities on Linux.  First, with the
> latest version of the text rendering stack, we should be emboldening for
> you on the fly.  Second, if you want to replace bold with italic, you
> can do that with a fontconfig configuration file.  There is a bug
> against Pango to make artificial bold and italic faces even show in the
> font selection widget.  That way, there's really no excuse to not use
> bold faces (unless you are dealing with a bitmap font of course).

As I replied in another subthread, that kind of approach is
of course wrong, _right now_. Artificial emboldening is
available for quite some time in freetype, and works for
chinese (though distro only catch up around 1 yr ago).
In the old days things are a bit different -- there is
no artificial embolden in freetype, no fontconfig/xft,
nothing.

Abel

--
Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF