On 05/08/2006, at 5:59 AM, F Wolff wrote:

> I have a few questions and comments about the gnome glossary
> project. I
> recently checked out the files and had a look, but there are a few
> issues.
>
> Many files have not been updated recently. This is not necessarily a
> problem, but I just wondered if the project was still considered
> "active", or is it simply at a point where most people just use it?

I still think it's useful, and I can't understand why it's no longer
current. I know we create a de facto compendium from the available
files for each language, but a glossary is a more specific terminogy
file, which can be useful in many situations.

> I saw a few issues that looked like encoding problems, which I thought
> people might want to know about.
<snip>
> * vi.po: The plural equation (not really an issue, and already
> discussed
> with Clytie. The header line can be removed since there are no
> plurals.)

;)

> Furthermore, perhaps a conversion to UTF-8 for all files should be
> considered. I guess some of the encodings like big5 simply don't have
> that character, although I didn't confirm this.

Most likely, the glossary files are not utf8 simply because they are
so old. UTF8 is the standard now: I don't think any teams are
accepting files in legacy encodings.

> I hope that the maintainers will be interested to fix these issues and
> to review the files to get them up to date. We are interested in
> reusing
> en integrating these files in the Pootle project. The ones with the
> encoding problems are unfortunately not usuable as they are now, since
> our tools are a bit more stringent than msgfmt, and we actually would
> like to have usuable comments. Anyone might be able to fix some of
> these, but I would like to hear if it is something one can merely
> post a
> patch for here, or what procedure is recommended.
>
> Lastly, what is the procedure to have new languages and updates
> commited? I think there might be some new interest in this project
> from
> Pootle users, starting with me for the inclusion of af.po :-).
>
> Regards,
> Friedel

As a gnome-glossary translator, I would also be interested to know if
we can add to the glossary, maintain it actively.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)