There is a pending discussion about this here:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2013-April/msg00009.html

Instead of using itstool, you can use gtxml to check errors in your
documentation translations. I've not used itstool to check them, but maybe
gtxml returns more user-friendly error messages.

Cheers!