daniel.mustie...@gmail.com>:

>> On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 13:37 +0200, Daniel Mustieles García wrote:
>> > It has been an explicit request by the user, who doesn't want her
>> > personal data appear in the web, data that are reachable by Google and
>> > other search engines, so I think we should respect this decission due
>> > to protect her personal data.
>>
>> l10n.gnome.org is a public website and I think it's recognizable as
>> such. Sorry but if you don't want your personal data to appear on the
>> web, don't put it on the web? Or maybe I don't understand the problem?
>>

> Yes, it's a public web, but if at any momment I don't my personal data to
> be in that web, I should be able to remove them. Note that those personal
> data are required to be registered in the web, and be registered is a must
> to follow DL's workflow, so there is no way to override the input of the
> personal data.
>
> If at any momment, and whatever be the reason, an user wants to remove
> his/her profile, we should be capable to do that. Maybe the personal
> situation of the user has changed, and having such personal data in a
> public website may cause problems. Why should be must deny the deletion of
> that?
>

>> > Another possible solution is edit the profile with false data, but
>> > that should not be honest for me.
>> >
>> https://l10n.gnome.org/users/detail_change/ allows editing anything.
>>

> I know, but dou you really think that's an acceptable answer? Do you want
> GNOME's public image to be a project in where users have to modify their
> profile with false data because there is no mechanism to remove that
> profile if requested? Are you interesed in having several Donald Duck
> profiles, because the original profile can't be removed? I don't think it
> would be good for GNOME as a serious project...

mail.gnome.org has had this exact policy for decades for its mailing lists;
that is, not to remove or edit archived mails even though people have
requested precisely that, and I do not think this has hurt the project
reputation in any way.

Please see the "My contact details are in your mailing list archives. Will
you remove them?" section of https://mail.gnome.org/.

Regards,
Christian