> Unfortunately, I don't think any of the commonly used tools displays
> anything special for the soft hyphen character, which explains why
> those can easily go unnoticed. vim does display a space, so that's one
> way to see them. gedit and the damned lies diff don't display
> anything. It would be good to have some kind of marker, ideally
> something that's in between characters and doesn't take the space of a
> character. Ideas and information about that are welcome!
Hi

I use mostly Lokalize (1.5) to translate my po files, and it highlights
soft hyphens in original and translated strings as well:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/160825/lokalize-softhyphens_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Here the highlighted characters have a soft hyphen between them.

Maybe it's worth a try.

Regards
Gabor