Maybe you would like to take a look into mi repo, where you can find some
useful scripts to handle Po files against DL:

https://github.com/dmustieles/gnome_scripts

untranslated2.sh donwloads all untranslated Po files from an specific
moduleset, allowing yo to set an unstranlated strings limit if you want so.

gttk.sh is a complete script to commit and push transtions into git: just
set the variables to match your local folders and go ahead!

My 2 cents ;)

P.S. gedit as a translation tool? really??