Thibault Martin commented:

Both Bart, Andrea and Emmanuele expressed concerns about anyone being able to
create a :gnome.org Matrix ID. I’m guessing the threat model is that somebody
could impersonate GNOME Foundation members.

Their recommendation would be to keep the :gnome.org strictly for GNOME
Foundation members, with LDAP authentication. Nobody else could sign in and
create an account or a room on :gnome.org homeserver.

If we wanted to follow the direction of making Matrix the recommended platform
for projects related to GNOME (be it a Core component, or a new GNOME-friendly
app that would later check all the boxes to join the Circle), it would make
sense to have the Matrix rooms of these projects hosted on the :gnome.org
instance. It would make it impossible for non Foundation members to create
rooms on the homeserver, which would limit a lot its adoption.

Alternatively, since applications are migrated manually to the World/ or GNOME/
group, it could make sense to create the room on the homeserver at that moment
if the maintainer asks one, and grant them Moderator access on the Matrix ID of
their choice.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/Infrastructure/-/issues/467#note_938380
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.gnome.org.