Thibault Martin commented:

As discussed in #opers, the cloak isn’t the route we want to follow because it
can be harder to maintain for IRC administrators.

The best solution seems to be to set an alias to have the following commands
available for room owners:
* `/spamprotect on #channel` to perform the command `MODE #channel +qe
*!*2001:470:1af1:104:*`
* `/spamprotect off #channel` to perform the command `MODE #channel -q`

The actual commands need to be confirmed by the IRC administrators.

When confirmed, before setting this up I need to:
1. Create a test room in IRC
1. Use the first command to protect the room
1. Try to join with a Matrix user unregistered on IRC
1. Exchange a few messages from both sides and check everything happens well
1. Remove the protection with the second command
1. Exchange a few messages from both sides
1. Leave an and re-join as the Matrix user

Also, as mentioned by Andrea, [the unrealircd documentation
suggests](https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Channel_modes) that +qe doesn’t
exist. It might be a +Me command instead, to be confirmed.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/Infrastructure/-/issues/480#note_953493
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.gnome.org.