On default Ubuntu 7.10, all I did to get my z22 working:
- make sure visor is loaded by: sudo modprobe visor
- also add it to /etc/modules for future use
- Select type: USB
- Dev: /dev/ttyUSB1
- Speed: buried under hotsync>connection setup>edit>details on the palm
itself.
Enable the desired conduits (they're all disabled by default for some
reason) and away you go.

I found the code for drag n' drop, as well as what I think are the gtk
bindings nearer the bottom. I also skimmed through the basics of gtk here:
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/ Where exactly is the
gnome_pilot_client_install_file that is being called? I searched through a
couple of possible files but couldn't find it.

I noticed that lines 1292-1299 are commented out, and seem to refer to the
ability to drag a text-file to the applet and have it install as a memo
rather than a file. From what I understand about gnome-pilot, this doesn't
sound too hard (maybe just extract the text and pass it to evolution as a
new memo? is there an api for that?). Would this be a good basic project to
help get me started, or is it more complicated then it looks?

Evan