On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Gantry York <gantry.y...@digitascio.com>wrote:

> I think if you make it hidden enough, it appears to be removed
> functionality.
>
> So after a little reading, I figured out that I have to install
> gconf-editor.
>
> OK, I get it.  It's like the Windows Registry.

It is NOTHING like the windows registry.  GConf is simply a key/value pair
with some magic to detect changes.  I hate when peopel compare it with the
windows regsitry.  GConf/GSettings and everything else is just a pragmatic
way to do to settings.  We do the same things in text.  When you do use go
into some conf file and type:

option=true

then you're doing the same thing.  The only difference is that we added a
name space and added some formatting instructions to the input.  Let's not
keep propogating the same tribal untruths out there.

Sorry, I get really irritated when I see GConf compared to the windows
settings and have it's negativity applied to GConf.

sri