On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 16:17 -0500, Marshall Neill wrote:
> I just installed Gnome 3.8.   Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

I agree completely.

Alt+F2's command line is also really quick for the odd-ball thing you
need to run.  I used to have to have an applet for that, and it was
always clunky.  Now it is built in [and people keep talking about having
'less features'... not the GNOME Shell I've met].

Built in screencast recording - Awesome!  There have been apps for that
in the past - none of them have worked well.  Shell's screencast
recording works perfectly every time; and painless.

Accessibility options are findable and usable.

> Whoever
> thought up the Frequent / All buttons deserves kudos.
> I have seen that most postings are in relation to issues/regressions,
> etc.,

That is the natural negative bias of the Internet.  Happy people do not
have a motivation to post - they are happy!  The sad thing is most
people who read Internet forums/lists/news don't keep that in mind; that
makes everything look bad, and really revs up those who are naturally
negative themselves.

> but this time I felt compelled to write congratulating the Gnome Team.
> Gnome 3.8 is great.
> When I initially installed Gnome 3 I disliked it, but kept coming back
> in hopes that it would improve.  Well it has, GREATLY.  This new version
> is spot on.  So easy to use and well thought out.

It does take some getting used to, one has to be willing to change some
of one's own practices.  But I agree that it is worth it; the result is
a much smoother, less cluttered, desktop environment.

<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/05/fortnight-with-gnome3.html>

> Congratulations on a job well done.  All the naysayers should look at
> this version, I believe their opinion would be greatly changed on the
> positive side.

+1