Hi all,

Well, downgrading my 3.8 VM to 3.6 didn't work (downgrading the
`gnome-shell` package suspiciously only downgraded that package and nothing
else; I had hoped it would hunt down all the dependencies and downgrade
them appropriately too, but it didn't); now when I boot I get various
errors about missing libraries to do with 3.4. Not too surprising.

Also, since Arch does rolling releases it appears I can't tell pacman to
upgrade the gnome-shell package by just one or two steps instead of the
whole way.

Clemens.......because that would make way too much sense, obviously.
(d'oh!) I prefer Arch and I notice they still have a snapshot from a few
months ago available (3.10 shouldn't have been on it yet), so I can try
that (though since gnome-shell does not ship with Arch I suspect I will get
the same problem that when I install it, it will update it to 3.10
automatically). Failing that, I'll just grab Fedora or Mageia.

thanks all,
Amy