> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM, John Frankish <j-frank...@slb.com> wrote:
> > gnome-session doesn't appear to be setting $ XDG_MENU_PREFIX, but
> perhaps I'm starting gnome-shell incorrectly?
> >
> > $ cat ~/.xsession
> > XDG_MENU_PREFIX="gnome-" "$DESKTOP" 2>/tmp/wm_errors & ...
> >
> > Where $DESKTOP=gnome-shell
>

> Well, gnome-session can only set XDG_MENU_PREFIX when it's executed :-)
>
> Admittedly I have no idea what else your .xsession contains, but the normal
> way to launch a GNOME session is via gnome-session (which will take care of
> starting other required components like gnome-settings-daemon and
> gnome-shell); also note that some functionality will not be available when
> gnome-session is not launched via GDM ...

As I'm working on a simple linux system I'm trying to keep things as
uncomplicated as possible.

I've been unable to make gdm work, but I can launch gnome-session by setting
$DESKTOP=gnome-session in the above. When I did this, I noticed that the upower
icon appeared in the top panel, but like the nm-applet, it will not let me do
anything due to permission issues.

By default the system I'm using has only one user and root and neither have a
password, so I've no particular need of a logon.

If at all possible, I'd like to try and get the full functionality using
gnome-shell and some appropriate linux-pam settings, but perhaps that's not
possible?